- McJobs and Workers -

collective bargaining agreement

Posted by: Krasny ( Workers of all countries..., US ) on December 15, 1998 at 12:08:50:

In Reply to: It is legal, but wrong posted by Shaun on December 02, 1998 at 19:47:48:

The only way to legally guarantee pay increases is with a collective bargaining agreement negotiated between your employer and a union or other bargaining representative. Without a contract, any employer may change your pay at any time; without your permission or fire you for any reason... so long as it isn't considered "discriminatory." You are considered employed *at (the) will* of the employer. Under a union contract, employees may only be fired for *just cause*; your pay is guaranteed under the terms and conditions of the contract. So don't bother the Wage and Hour Division of the Labor Department... and don't *quit* for cying out loud... contact the AFL-CIO and ask them for information on forming a union where you work. All you need is 50% of the workforce + one to vote the union in. Go for it. --Krasny

Follow Ups:


The Debating Room Post a Followup